Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 1

Today we closed on our dream home. Our dream home that needs a new roof, new kitchen, new bathrooms, new paint, new flooring, new appliances and new landscaping. The list could go on and on... But it sits on a beautiful piece of property and we are beside ourselves with joy.



Just the other morning, I drove past the house and caught the morning sun hitting the back yard. It took my breath away. For a moment I forgot all about the rotting roof  and lead based paint :)



I hope to use this blog to document our journey. A journey of taking a very old home that needs a lot of work, and transforming it into a beautiful home to live and love in.

Day 1- The closing was this morning at 9:30 and after weeks of planning, we had the legal go ahead to start work. Ben met some of the tree crew at the house today to go over the plans for tree and landscaping removal. The home has incredible trees, but some are overgrown, some are dead and some are causing problems with the house.  That is the first project to tackle. Ben is getting final quotes this week and they will start tearing things out soon.

We worked at the house some tonight (well, at least Ben worked. I just kept him company for the most part :) ). Ben was able to clean out the shed to the side of the house. He also discovered that the shed has some busted pipes in the wall that need to be fixed. I am sure that is the first of many unexpected projects/expenses that we will come across. We worked together to replace the light fixture above the garage with a security light with a sensor.

I am going to attempt to take pictures and update every few days about our progress. I know I will look back and be so thankful I took the time to document this little adventure we are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment